Are you at risk for falling?
Balance Self Test - To help determine if you may be headed for a fall, take the Balance Self Test below. The best way to determine if you have a problem, however, is to talk with your physician who might recommend that you get a balance screening test from Carter Rehabilitation & Aquatic Centers.
- Have you fallen more than once in the past year?
- Do you take medication for two or more of the following diseases: heart disease, hypertension, arthritis, anxiety or depression?
- Do you feel dizzy or unsteady if you make sudden changes in movement?
- Have you had a joint replaced?
- Have you experienced a stroke or another neurological problem that has affected your balance?
- Do you experience numbness or loss of sensation in your legs and/or feet?
- Do you use a walker or wheelchair, or do you need assistance to get around?
- Do you feel unsteady when you are walking or climbing stairs?
- Do you have difficulty sitting down or rising from a seated or lying position?
If you answer yes to even 1 or 2 of these questions, you could be considered a moderate - high fall risk.
State of the Art Balance Equipment
Fall Prevention & Balance Disorder Clinic
Are you dizzy? - Balance disorder is a condition that makes you feel unsteady or dizzy, as if you are moving, spinning, or floating even though you are standing still or lying down.
BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) is an inner ear problem that causes dizziness when your head moves in certain positions. This may occur when crystals move from one part of the inner ear to another. Our staff is highly trained in performing appropriate repositioning maneuvers to return crystals to their correct position.
Are you afraid of falling? - Gait System – A mounted trolley to provide patients with the comfort and security of not being able to fall. A great confidence builder during functional activity.
Can't feel your feet? - Tingling or burning in your toes? Anodyne - A medical device that emits infrared light to a specific area to decrease pain, muscle spasms and increase circulation for diabetic vascular disease and neuropathy.